PrevUp Next

Here the hull is about to what it will finally look like. I've got to put on the outer stem and stern. Then I mask off the water line and fiberglass and paint that. Also the rub rail and toerail.

Placed above is a board to keep the rain off. This has worked better than any of the cases where I used tarps. In fact, the tarps acted like a cistern in some cases, and I would have to sponge out the interior.

Here I start the mooring bit. I did not see specifications for the type of wood to use so I looked in SS Rabl's book and found where they used white oak. I expected this since the mooring bit needs to be as strong as possible and white oak is about the strongest commonly available wood. Off I went to Scottsboro to get some. They had 2" thick (really 1 and 7/8 inch) planks so I had to settle for cutting the bit out in halves and gluing up to get the dimensions specified in the plans. The Porter Cable circular saw did the job with no complaint.

Some people say that white oak doesn't hold well with epoxy. However, on a previous project I built a canopy for Andrea Lynn using three white oak strips bent into a horse shoe shape and glued together with West Epoxy and it held up well. I used the same lamination method here.


The plans call for a mortice and tenon joint so that is what I do. After dressing up with a belt sander I installed it.

Here is the inside view of the installed bitt.


Here is the outside view of it. Looking at it it seems just a bit tall - maybe an inch or so - I'll have to decide later whether to cut it down a bit.